Sunday, August 1, 2010

First Few Days in Guangzhou

It's a neat place! It resembles Florida to me with lush greenery and
lots of palm trees. Guangzhou sure does cater to the Westerners.
They all speak English here, and they even had a Barbie in the room
for Hanna, a blond mommy with an Asian baby. No kidding. It was a
gift from Mattel, who also sponsors a play room downstairs for the
kids. What a great place to go and not have to say, "No Hanna, don't
touch that" and even nicer to chat with other familes from the US. In
fact, we chatted with a couple who used to live in Southern Pines and
the mother worked at a middle school in Sanford- West Lee JHS. I will
send some photos to our friend (not great shots) to post later. We
have a Starbucks! Vince was so excited he bought a shirt. We ate a
restaurant named Lucy's last night made for those of us who want food
that reminds us of home. On Sunday we went to the folk art museum,
and our guide took us to the grocery store. I think he was worried we
didn't stock up on things, but he is used to guiding families with
babies I think. Hanna eats what we eat. We stocked up on some sort
of snack that the best description I can give is the Chinese version
of goldfish- but better. We will be carrying some home. I want to
see if Davis likes them. Tonight's dinner was Subway. I ate the
vegetables on the sub- hope that doesn't cause problems later.
Tomorrow we check the results of her TB test- which is fine as I see
no resemblance of a needle stick. Which is surprising if you saw how
she stuck her. It was mediocre at best. I hope to make it to the
pearl market and toy market this week. Ike, our guide, said he would
take us. I can't land in Raleigh without some Bakugons for Davis.